THE FORTY NAWAWI HADITH
الأربعين النويية

((1))
On the authority of `Umar bin Al - Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) who narrated that he heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) saying, "The deeds are considered by the intentions, and a person will get the reward according to his intention. So whoever emigrated for Allah and His Messenger, his emigration will be for Allah and His Messenger; and whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration would be for what he emigrated for."
(Reported by Al - Bukhari and Muslim)
((2))
On the authority of `Umar bin Al - Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) who reported: Once we were sitting in the company of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) when there appeared a man dressed in very white clothes and having extraordinary black hair. No signs of fatigue of journey appeared on him and he was known to none of us. He sat down facing the Prophet (may peace be upon him) leaning his knees against the knees of the Prophet (may peace be upon him) and placing both of his palms over his two thighs and said, "O Muhammad (may peace be upon him)! Tell me about Islam." He (may peace be upon him) replied, "Islam is to testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and that Muhammad (may peace be upon him) is the Messenger of Allah; that you observe prayer, pay Zakah, observe fasting of Ramadan and perform Hajj (pilgrimage) of the House, provided you have resources of making journey to it." He replied: "You have spoken the truth." We were surprised to see that he had asked him and confirmed the correctness of the answers. He then inquired: "Tell me about Iman." He (may peace be upon him) said. "It is to believe in Allah, and His Books, and His Messengers and the Last Day and that you believe in fore - ordainment, its bad and good consequences." He said, "You have spoken the truth." He then inquired: "Tell me about Ihsan." He (may peace be upon him) said, "It is to worship Allah as if you are seeing Him; and although you do not see Him, He sees you." He inquired: "Inform me about the Hour (i.e., the Day of Resurrection)." He (may peace be upon him) replied, "I have no more knowledge thereof than you." He said, "Inform me about some of its signs." He (may peace be upon him) said, "They are - that a bondwoman gives birth to her own master, and that you will find the barefooted, naked, poor shepherds competing one another in the construction of higher buildings." Then he departed. The Messenger of Allah kept silent for a while then he said to me, "O `Umar! Do you know who the questioner was?" I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know better." The Prophet (may peace be upon him) said, "He was Jibril (Gabriel); he came to you to teach you your religion."
(Reported by Muslim)On the authority of Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) who reported that